The High Bridge is the oldest bridge structure in New York City and connects High Bridge Park in the boroughs of Manhattan and the Bronx. Originally constructed in 1848, the bridge was modeled on ancient Roman aqueducts and, as part of the Croton Aqueduct system, was designed to carry water from the Croton River in Westchester down to Manhattan. The distribution pipe is concealed in a gallery below the brick-paved pedestrian walkway. The 1200 foot long, 116 foot high bridge is a designated NYC Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The bridge was closed to the general public in the 1970s following years of neglect and decline since the aqueduct no longer carried water as of 1917. The clients for the project were the New York City Department of Design & Construction and the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation.